Humanities Core Website
HUMAN (1A&1AS) and (1B&1BS) and (1C&1CS), taken in the freshman year.
Transfer students in all majors in the School of Humanities may substitute for the Humanities Core by completing the Humanities Core Alternative requirement, described below.
Students who declare a major in the School of Humanities after their freshman year may also be advised to complete the Humanities Core Alternative requirement, and should consult an academic counselor in Humanities Undergraduate Study.
HUMANITIES CORE ALTERNATIVE - Effective Fall 2014
- A total of 6 quarter courses or 4 semester courses, or a combination thereof, is required.
- You must take at least one course in each of the 4 areas in Group A. To reach the total number of courses required, you may take additional courses from Group A or Group B.
- A course is not required in the area of your major (for example, a History major does not need to take any History courses).
- You may not overlap any courses between the Humanities Core Alternative and your major.
- All Core Alternative courses must be completed for a letter grade and passed with a D- or better.
|1. Composition:||Writing 37, 39B, 39C, 30, 31, 45, 50, 60|
|2. Literature:||English 8, 9, 10, 10B,16, 17
Comparative Literature 10, 60A, 60B
|3. History:||History 21A, 21B, 21C, 40A, 40B, 40C, 70A, 70B, 70C, 70D, 70E, 70F, lower-division western history at another college|
|4. Philosophy:||Philosophy 1, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13|
|African American Studies 40A, 40B, 40C|
|Art History 40A, 40B, 40C, 42A, 42B, 42C, 42D, 44, 55|
|Asian American Studies 50, 51, 54, 55|
|Classics 36A, 36B, 36C, 37A, 37B, 37C, 45A, 45B, 45C|
|Comparative Literature 3, 8, 9, 60C|
|East Asian Studies 20, 40, 55, H84|
|English 11, 11C, 12, H80|
|European Studies 9, 10, S10, 11, S11,12, 13|
|Film and Media Studies H80, 85A, 85B, 85C|
|Gender and Sexuality Studies 20, 50A, 50B, 50C|
|Global Middle East 60A|
|History 10, 12, 15A, 15C, 15D, 15E, 15F, 16A, 16B, 16C, 18A, 36A, 36B, 36C, 37A, 37B, 37C, 50, 60|
|Humanities 55, H80, H81, H82|
|Literary Journalism 20|
|Medical Humanities 1, 3|
|Philosophy 2, 21|
|Religious Studies 5A, 5B, 5C, 21|
|Spanish 50, 60E, 60S, 61|
|Or choose additional course(s) from Group A|