Open: October 3
Close: Varies by Program
Institution Code: 4859
Application Fees: $135 (US Citizens and US Permanent Residents)
$155 (International Residents)
The application/admissions process occurs only once a year for Fall Quarter admission only via an online application. The online application is centrally run by UCI Graduate Division. Should any issues arise with the application, contact their office directly at email@example.com.
All applicants are required to submit the following materials to their department/program in which they are applying as part of the application process:
- Official GRE Scores (Electronic Submission; please check with your program to verify if the GRE test is required)
- Official TOEFL or IELTS Scores (Electronic Submission)
- All graduate applicants are required to demonstrate English proficiency for admissions consideration. Applicants are waived from the English Language Proficiency requirement if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from an institution at which English was the sole language of instruction according to the World Higher Education Database (WHED). Please refer to the UCI Graduate Division website for more information.
- Unofficial Transcripts of All Post-Secondary Work.
- All unofficial transcripts will be uploaded directly via the online application.
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Electronic Submission Only)
Most departments/programs require writing samples and/or other materials. Check the website for the department/program to which you are applying for further information. All supplemental materials will be uploaded directly via the online application.
UCI holds the following minimum academic requirements for applicants to be consider admissible:
- Hold a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from a recognized academic institution with degree standards equivalent to the University of California, Irvine.
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0
All admitted Ph.D. students will receive a funding package from the School of Humanities, which consists of fellowship and employment - usually as a Teaching Assistant. In addition to the salary, Teaching Assistant positions provide coverage of in-state tuition and student health insurance. All admitted M.F.A students will also receive a funding package from the School of Humanities, consisting of three years of Teaching Assistant positions.
In addition to the school funding package, departments and programs will nominate eligible applicants to UCI admissions diversity fellowships. If such additional funds are awarded, the applicant will be notified by the program and UCI Graduate Division.
For more information about funding opportunities once admitted students are matriculated, please see our current student funding page.