Chinese Language Program
The Chinese Program at the University of California Irvine is pleased to announce its annual Chinese Calligraphy Contest to be held on Tuesday 5/21/2019.
This event is open to all students who are currently enrolled in a Chinese language class at UCI campus. The event aims to promote interest in the study of Chinese language and culture through practice and appreciation of the art of Chinese calligraphy.
This event is supported by a generous endowment established by the late Chinese calligrapher Captain Te Pei Wong. We are also grateful to the East Asian Studies department and the judges of this event for their support.
Pre-registration is required. for Chinese Calligraphy Contest by Sunday 5/19/2019 at
https://forms.gle/ugrMrtba6TTbHEsg8 (use your UCI email)
A Chinese Singing contest will be held while judges review all the writing samples for awards.
Sign up for the Chinese Singing Contest by the same deadline Sunday 5/19/2019 at
https://forms.gle/QrGTuJtKCL17Vbk4A (use your UCI email)
Date & Time
Tuesday 5/21/2019, registration/check begins at 5:30 pm, event 6:00 - 9:30 pm
Humanities Gateway (HG) room 1030
Contest & Awards
* 2 separate groups for Chinese Calligraphy Contest- brush writing and pencil writing
* One 1st prize, one 2nd prize, one 3rd prize, and up to 5 Honorable Mentions will be awarded in each group.
* 3-5 Special Recognition awards (combined) for non-heritage students .
* Door prize drawing during award ceremony.
- Due to time constraint, each participant may choose to participate in only ONE writing group (brush OR pencil).
- Winners from last year's event may only enter this contest for a different group this year.
brush group - brush writing sample brush practice sheet
pencil group - pencil writing sample in traditional simplified pencil practice sheet
Schedule of Events
5:30 check-in begins (HG Courtyard)
6:00 opening (HG 1030)
6:20 writing starts (HG1030)
7:10 final collection of writing samples
refreshment break (HG Courtyard)
7:45 Chinese Singing Contest (HG1030)
9:00+ Award ceremony (HG1030)
This is only a tentative schedule of the contest as the time it takes for the judges to finish examining all the writing samples and reach a decision on the awards might be a little longer or shorter than this.