Message from the Chair
It is with great joy and excitement that I write this message as Chair of the Department of Philosophy; a Department with a bright past, which is determined to have an even brighter future.
Since last year we have two new tracks that complement our traditional Philosophy major. The two new tracks are: Philosophy, Medicine and Well-Being and Philosophy, Law and Society.
This year we have 6 new graduate students who will join a cohort of over 30 Ph.D. students. By offering competitive packages, and with an entirely redesigned first year, we aim to enhance the quality of our graduate students’ experience.
Thanks to a new . . .
About the Department
The Department of Philosophy is world-class and has particular strengths in three main areas. History of Philosophy, including Ancient, Modern and Contemporary Philosophy, both analytic and continental; Epistemology, Philosophy of Mind and Metaphysics, pursued with analytic methodologies but open to the influences of the continental tradition; Ethics, Legal and Political Philosophy, Social and Value theory.
UC Irvine’s philosophy graduate program is jointly administered by the Department of Philosophy in the School of Humanities and the Department of Logic and Philosophy of Science in the School of Social Sciences. The graduate program is ranked among the top programs in the United States, and among the very best in a number of subfields of philosophy (see the Philosophical Gourmet Report). Graduate . . .
News and Events
- POSTPONED: Scientia Workshop: Karen Detlefsen (University of Pennsylvania)
- POSTPONED: Jointly sponsored colloquium by the Department of Philosophy and LPS: Karen Detlefsen (University of Pennsylvania)
- POSTPONED: Colloquium: Geoff Sayre-McCord (UNC)
- POSTPONED: Colloquium: Anil Gupta (University of Pittsburgh)
- POSTPONED: Melden Colloquium: Troy Jollimore (California State University, Chico)