Message from the Chair
It is with great joy and excitement that I write this message as Chair of the Department of Philosophy; a Department with a bright past, which is determined to have an even brighter future.
We are thrilled to welcome two new faculty members: Professor Katherine Ritchie, who joins us from City University New York, and Professor Allison Koslow, who will join us in January 2021, after receiving her PhD from MIT.
We have two new tracks that complement our traditional Philosophy major. The two new tracks are: Philosophy, Medicine and Well-Being and Philosophy, Law and Society. We are also thrilled to share with you our new . . .
About the Department
The Department of Philosophy is world-class and has particular strengths in three main areas. History of Philosophy, including Ancient, Modern and Contemporary Philosophy, both analytic and continental; Epistemology, Philosophy of Mind and Metaphysics, pursued with analytic methodologies but open to the influences of the continental tradition; Ethics, Legal and Political Philosophy, Social and Value theory.
UC Irvine’s philosophy graduate program is jointly administered by the Department of Philosophy in the School of Humanities and the Department of Logic and Philosophy of Science in the School of Social Sciences. The graduate program is ranked among the top programs in the United States, and among the very best in a number of subfields of philosophy (see the Philosophical Gourmet Report). Graduate . . .
News and Events
- POSTPONED: Scientia Workshop: Karen Detlefsen (University of Pennsylvania)
- POSTPONED: Jointly sponsored colloquium by the Department of Philosophy and LPS: Karen Detlefsen (University of Pennsylvania)
- POSTPONED: Colloquium: Geoff Sayre-McCord (UNC)
- POSTPONED: Colloquium: Anil Gupta (University of Pittsburgh)
- POSTPONED: Colloquium: Manuel Vargas (UC San Diego)
- Author Meets Critics with Professor Annalisa Coliva
- Congratulations to Oscar Piedrahita Rivera!
- Philosopher Meets Critics
- Fostering Anteater virtues