In addition to completing all of the courses required for your degree, you must meet the following requirements:

Unit requirement:
You must have credit for a minimum of 180 quarter units.

GPA requirements:
You must have a 2.0 GPA overall, a 2.0 GPA in your major, and 2.0 GPA in the upper-division courses in your major.

Senior Residency:
At least 36 of the final 45 units completed by a student for the bachelor’s degree must be earned in residence at the UCI campus.  The School of Humanities will allow exceptions to this rule for students enrolled in the Education Abroad Program, the UCDC Academic Internship Program, or the UC Center Sacramento Scholar Intern Program.


Students who enter UCI directly from high school as freshmen are expected to complete all degree requirements within 5 years (15 quarters, not including summers).  This includes completion of any minors or additional (double) majors. For students who enter UCI in Fall 2011 or later, a maximum of 216 units is permitted after their 12th quarter of study at UCI. (Academic Senate Regulation 386. Credit Hour Unit Limit (Undergraduate))

Students who enter UCI as junior transfers from other institutions are expected to complete all degree requirements within 3 years (9 quarters, not including summers).  This includes completion of any minors or additional (double) majors.

Students who are admitted to UCI for a second baccalaureate degree are expected to complete all degree requirements within 2 years (6 quarters, not including summers).

Students attending UCI on a part time basis should consult with an academic counselor regarding a course plan to complete the degree on time.

Exceptions to the above policy may be considered by petition at least two quarters in advance of the expected graduation date.


Graduation is NOT automatic. You must file an Application for Graduation online in Student Access at least two quarters in advance of the quarter in which you expect to graduate.  Submit an application when you have at least 120 units of cumulative credit.

After your application has been reviewed, its status will change from “PENDING” to “RECEIVED” and you will be contacted by our office.  You may choose to meet with an academic counselor if you have any further questions.

The deadline to apply for Spring or Summer graduation is eighth week of Winter Quarter.  If you miss the application deadline, you may not be able to reserve Commencement tickets for your guests and your name will not appear in the Commencement Program or on the screen during the ceremony.

If you need to make changes:
If you have already submitted your Application for Graduation, you must submit a "Request Change to Graduation Application" form online to request the change (change the term of intended graduation, add or delete a minor).  You should speak to an academic counselor to make sure it is possible for you to change your graduation date so that you are not in violation of the policy.

If you are a double major:
Double majors must graduate with both sets of degree requirements within the same quarter.  Students planning to graduate in only one major and continue with the second major should consult with their academic counselor about a Second Baccalaureate prior to the end of the expected quarter of graduation.


  • If you are pursuing a minor, be sure to notify a Humanities counselor to add the minor to your online degree audit in Student Access prior to submitting your Application for Graduation.
  • If you expect to complete all graduation requirements by the end of Spring quarter, then you may apply for Spring graduation; if you expect to complete all graduation requirements by the end of Summer Session I or Summer Session II, then you should apply for Summer graduation.
  • If you have completed course work at community college that is needed for your degree, please be sure you have requested that transcripts be submitted directly to the Humanities Office of Undergraduate Study.


Students graduating in Fall, Winter or Spring Quarters may participate in the Commencement Ceremony for Spring Quarter of the academic year in which they graduate.  Students graduating in Summer may choose to participate in the previous year’s ceremony or wait until the following year (note that any honors will appear in the Commencement program for the year you actually graduate).

Application for Graduation:
To be eligible to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, you must submit an Application for Graduation by the eighth week of Winter Quarter.  If you miss this deadline, you may not be able to order Commencement tickets for your guests and your name will not appear in the Commencement Program.

Ceremony & Tickets:
Tickets are required to attend Commencement.  Ticket information is available on the Commencement website.

Academic Regalia:
For cap & gown orders, purchase yours at the Grad Expo. Please visit the Commencement website for more information.


The campus policy specifies that no more than 16 percent of graduating seniors will receive academic honors: approximately 2 percent summa cum laude, 4 percent magna cum laude, and 10 percent cum laude. Students must have completed at least 72 quarter units in residence at a University of California campus. Students who have on file recorded incidents of academic dishonesty are not eligible for Honors at Graduation.

In addition to this campus criteria, the School of Humanities uses cumulative GPA as the criterion for the awarding of Honors at Graduation. The Commencement program will list candidates for Honors at Graduation who qualify based on cumulative grade point average through Winter quarter and who have applied for graduation by the March deadline. The official designation of Honors on the diploma and transcript will be based upon the candidate's cumulative GPA and total units completed at the end of the final quarter.

For students graduating Summer 2019 through Spring 2020, the grade point average (GPA) thresholds for these honors are as follows:

Summa cum laude – 3.951 to 4.0
Magna cum laude – 3.858 to 3.950
Cum laude – 3.719 to 3.857

Honors Cords:
On May 18, 2020, the Humanities Office of Undergraduate Study mailed honors cords to all students who currently qualify for academic honors based on the above. The cords were sent to the diploma address listed on the graduation application – or, if no such address was provided – to the permanent address on file with the University. 



Degrees are noted on official transcripts approximately six to seven weeks after the end of the quarter in which they are awarded.  Academic transcripts may be ordered from the Registrar’s Office in advance, indicating that they be held until the degree is noted on the transcript.

Diplomas will be available approximately four months after the quarter in which the degree was awarded.  The Registrar’s Office will notify you by mail when your diploma is available.  More information about this process is available on the Registrar’s website.

Upon graduation, academic records are final (may not be changed).  It is your responsibility to check the accuracy of your academic record before you graduate.  (Note that an NR becomes an F or NP after one quarter of subsequent enrollment or at the end of the quarter immediately preceding award of the degree, whichever comes first (Academic Senate Regulation 345. Grading). Contact the instructor of the class about the possibility of removing the NR or replacing it with a grade).