Humanities Grading Option Policies & FAQs for Fall 2020The Academic Senate at UCI, which governs academic regulations at UC Irvine, has authorized adjustments to existing undergraduate regulations on Pass/Not Pass grades (P/NP) for the Fall quarter only. Full details on these adjustments are available here. The following information applies to Humanities undergraduate students only.
FAQs for Fall 2020HOW DO I CHANGE THE GRADING OPTION TO PASS/NO PASS IN FALL 2020 COURSES?
- Monday, September 28 to Friday, October 16 at 5pm - Use WebReg to enroll or change the grading option to Pass/No Pass.
- Friday, October 16 at 5pm to Wednesday, November 25 at 5pm - Submit a request through Enrollment Exceptions in Student Access.
- After Wednesday, November 25 at 5pm - No changes can be made.
The deadline to change the grading option is WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25 at 5pm.** No changes can be made after Wednesday, November 25 at 5pm.
**Note: This is the day before the Thanksgiving holiday; please expect a delay in review and approval for requests submitted on the deadline day.
WHAT COURSES MAY BE TAKEN FOR PASS/NO PASS?
In addition to all courses normally allowed to be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis, Humanities students are permitted to also take the following courses for Pass/No Pass in Fall 2020:
- Courses for Humanities majors
- Humanities Core 1A, 1AS, and 1AES
- Courses for the Humanities Core Alternative
- 2C level language courses
WHAT COURSES *CANNOT* BE TAKEN FOR PASS/NO PASS?
The Pass/No Pass option will NOT be approved in the following instance:
- If you are retaking a course you previously took for a letter grade. You cannot repeat a letter grade for Pass/No Pass.
- If you are taking a course for a major in another school, be sure to consult that school for Pass/No Pass policies.
Please see the infographic below to assist in your decision making process. Remember, you must earn a grade of “C” or better to receive a “Pass” and earn credit for a course; a grade of “C-“ or below is considered a “No Pass” and you will be not be able to use the course to meet degree requirements. This is especially important to note for graduating students who are trying to fulfill their last requirements to graduate. You will need to weigh the risk of taking a course P/NP and not receiving any credit if your earn the equivalent to a C- grade or lower.
IS THERE A FEE TO CHANGE?
The $3 fee normally charged for this request will be waived.
WHY ISN'T THE PASS/NO PASS COURSE SHOWING ON MY DEGREEWORKS?
If you choose to take a major or School requirement for Pass/No Pass in Spring, Summer, or Fall 2020, it might not show up on your DegreeWorks, but the course DOES still count for the requirement. Please submit the Humanities DegreeWorks Update Request Form to request it be added.
- The Registrar’s Pass/No Pass FAQ site: www.reg.uci.edu/addl/faq_covid_pnp.html
- The GPA Calculator in Student Access: www.reg.uci.edu/access/student/welcome/
**The deadline to change the grading option is WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25 at 5pm.**