About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Congrats Professor Rony, whose film project was selected to go to MarchÃ© International du Film d'Animation d'Annecy!
- Professor Bliss Lim was quoted in the BBC News article on Netflix's first Filipino animated series Trese.
- Great interview of Assistant Professor Kamil and her new book Technoprecarious
- FMS Alumni (2015) Kelsey Carr who was Production Supervisor on "Time" , directed by Garrett Bradley, is up for a Oscar for best Documentary
- Assistant Professor Braxton Soderman challenges popular ideas in gaming in his new book: Against Flow: Video Games and the Flowing Subject.
- March 12, 2021
Winter 21 Coffee and Internship Event recording now available with guest Jeff Tasset, Senior Manager for Campus Recruitment for the Disney Studios!