About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Please enjoy our Film and Media Studies Newsletter, highlighting Summer Internship Awards, Alumni Profiles, and New Faculty and Staff!
- Check out the episode of "The Welcome Table," literary journalism students interview Film and Media Studies Assistant Professor Dauchan
- FMS New Faculty Dr. Meryem Kamil, Dr. Andre Kunigami, and Dr. Bo Ruberg
- Congratulations to Allan Dizon, the last recipient of our 2020 FMS Summer Internship Award!
- Taking Zotfest online with recent alumnus Gary Giannoni III class of 2020
- November 2, 2020
UCI Humanities Scholarships
- November 4, 2020
Check out Winter 2021 FMS courses and read short course descriptions before enrollment windows
- December 7, 2020
Fall 2020 Course Evaluations! Please evaluate. Your voice counts!