About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Professor Peter Krapp: Cooking with the Professor
- Check out Professor Peter Krapp: Beyond the Cool Obscure - from the PicturePhone to the Zoom Boom
- Alumni Roxy Shih & Sheldon Chau-Spotlight Award Winners interviewed by Visual Communications
- The Professional-Managerial Class w/ Professor Catherine Liu | The Jacobin Show
- Congratulations to Professor Bo Ruberg on winning the 2021 Stonewall Book Award!
- March 10, 2021
International Film Club - Horror Shorts - Growth
- March 12, 2021
Winter 2021 Coffee & Internship Event