About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Film and Media Studies professor Johnson and television scholar, weighing in on how our streaming habits are changing in the pandemic!
- Caitlin Conkin, a film and media studies major, won Solos Contest weekly competition.
- Game on! UCI scholar studies LGBTQ video games and their makers
- With great pleasure we welcome Dr. Bo Ruberg, Assistant Professor of Film and Media Studies, as our newest member of the Department!
- Congratulations to our 2020 Film and Media Studies spotlight showcase alumna Roxy Shih
- April 24, 2020
Fall 2020 FMS Elective EAS 140: Korean Pop Culture
- June 5, 2020
Save the Date! Film and Media Studies Annual End of the Year Celebration via Zoom
- June 5, 2020
ZotFest Film Festival 2020 going online!