About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Taking Zotfest online with recent alumnus Gary Giannoni III class of 2020
- Film and Media Studies Professor Peter Krapp was quoted in this story about the TikTok/WeChat ban
- Recent Alumna Ingrid Allen was selected for FMS Summer Internship Award, with generous donation from UCI History Alumni, Leon Dudevoir!
- Recent FMS alumnus, Anthony Kalmeta (class of 2020) has completed his first short film, Overcast.
- Congratulations to Victor Adame-Ramirez, another recipient of our FMS Summer Internship Award, with generous donation from UCI History Alumn
- September 28, 2020
Film and Media Studies Faculty Advising Sept.28th-Sept.30th 2020 Welcome Week!
- September 30, 2020
Join us for our Film and Media Studies Welcome Week Orientation Fall 2020!