About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Professor Benamou was recently interviewed by the LA times about Netflix's rumored purchase of the Egyptian theater.
- 2018 FMS Student Spotlight Showcase Alumn Honoree-Jess Dela Merced
- DON'T STOP US NOW | A UCI Student Film Musical (FADA)
- This Year's Alum Honoree Sheldon Chau, Cinematographer and Director. Second Annual Spotlight Showcase
- Coverage of UCI's Zotfest student film festival in the Los Angeles Times
No current events at this time.(more events)