About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Recent FMS alumni, Anthony Kalmeta (class of 2020) has completed his first short film, Overcast.
- Alumni Tiffany Chu plays an artificial intelligence robot named Sophie in the Twitch series "Artificial" – a primetime Emmy Award winner
- An animated short film by Fatimah Tobing Rony, professor and chair of film and media studies at UCI, "Annah la Javanaise".
- Film and Media Studies professor Johnson and television scholar, weighing in on how our streaming habits are changing in the pandemic!
- With great pleasure we welcome Dr. Bo Ruberg, Assistant Professor of Film and Media Studies, as our newest member of the Department!
No current events at this time.(more events)