About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Great interview of Assistant Professor Kamil and her new book Technoprecarious
- Assistant Professor Braxton Soderman challenges popular ideas in gaming in his new book: Against Flow: Video Games and the Flowing Subject.
- FMS Alumni (2015) Kelsey Carr who was Production Supervisor on "Time" , directed by Garrett Bradley, is up for a Oscar for best Documentary
- Q&A with Catherine Liu about her book Virtue Hoarders is now published!
- FMS Alumni (2004) Rose Bush's recent film as a director of photography by Anthony Giacchino and Alice Doyard, COLETTE, has been nominated!
- March 12, 2021
Winter 21 Coffee and Internship Event recording now available with guest Jeff Tasset, Senior Manager for Campus Recruitment for the Disney Studios!
- March 28, 2021
FADA & The Zotfest Team are proud to share that Submissions for Zotfest 2021 are OPEN!
- April 19, 2021
Call for applications: FMS Summer Internship Award 2021
- May 12, 2021
International Film Club - Horror Shorts - Grub (Boustifaille)
- June 4, 2021
The Film & Media Studies End of the Year Celebration!