About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- Associate Professor Benamou's book-It's All True:Orson Welles's Pan-American Odyssey is published by the University of Sao Paulo Press.
- Professor Catherine Liu talks on Jason Myles' This is Revolution Oakland, talking about Horror films, genre films and politics.
- Check out Professor Bliss Lim's video essay, Asian Horror Cinema: Negotiations and Contradictions!
- Professor Fatimah Tobing Rony won the 2021 Chinelo Award for Best Short Film at the Pixelatl Festival of Animation in Cuernavaca, Mexico.
- Congrats Professor Rony, whose film project was selected to go to MarchÃ© International du Film d'Animation d'Annecy!
- October 28, 2021
Screening of Professor Fatimah Tobing Rony's award winning short, "Annah La Javanaise"
- October 29, 2021
Fall Virtual Coffee and Internships Event!
- November 19, 2021
International Film Club: Minding the Gap (Bing Liu 2018)
- December 8, 2021
International Film Club - Amy (Asif Kapadia, 2015)