Frequently Asked Questions

• How do I enroll?

Go to the Schedule of Classes, select the quarter you wish to enroll for, and select a section that fits your schedule. You can enroll for your specific section through WebReg when your enrollment registration window opens, given that you have the correct prerequisites. WebReg is available from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. daily, with occasional downtime for maintenance.During the Enrollment by Window period, when your enrollment window opens, you have 48 hours of full access before you are restricted to non-prime time access (7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.), while other students’ enrollment windows open on an established priority basis.

• What are the Composition add/drop/change policies?

First Day Rule”: Students registered for sections MUST be physically present for the first day of their class, or they will be DROPPED from the section.The last day to add a class is by the end of Week 1.The last day to drop a class is by the end of Week 2.Failure to drop the section, attend class, and submit completed assignments will result in an F or an NR in the course.

• I NEED this class and see some sections are over-enrolled. Can you change the maximum enrollment cap?

We cannot change the maximum enrollment for any writing sections.  Any section that is over the maximum capacity is only temporarily so. Usually, it is the case that a student who was not present the first day of classes hasn’t yet dropped the section, while the student taking the spot has already added the section. When the student who is no longer authorized to be in the section drops the class, the enrollment will go back to its regular maximum capacity. There are many reasons why we *must* keep this enrollment where they are — chief among them is that it’s not productive to have too many students in one class. Simply, students wouldn’t get the best experience or the best instruction out of a class because they wouldn’t get as much individual feedback or time from their instructor.

• Can I take this class pass/no pass?

Before changing your grade option to P/NP, please consult with an academic counselor in the school of your major.  In some schools, you must take the writing courses for a letter grade in order for the course to count toward your lower-division requirement. If you have plans to apply for graduate school, please note that some graduate schools also require that writing courses be a letter grade in order to be accepted.You CANNOT revert a P/NP back into a letter grade.

• Do I have to take the writing classes in order?

Yes. Writing classes MUST be taken in sequential order in order for them to count towards your lower-division writing requirement:   WR 39A –> WR 39B –> WR 39C
WR 37 –> WR 39C
WR 39A –> WR 39B –> WR 30/31*
(*WR 30/31 can be taken in lieu of WR 39C if the student has received a B or higher in WR 39B)

• What is the theme for my section?

WR 39A does not post themes. The Composition Office attempts to have WR 39B and WR 39C themes available by the first week of classes; this may vary depending on lecturer appointments and scheduling.

• How do I get an add/drop code for my writing course?

If you are attempting to add or drop a course and it prompts you for an authorization code, you can obtain your code by emailing the instructor of your course.

• All the classes are full. How can I find out when a space will open up?

The best way to increase your chances of adding a section is to physically show up in person the first day. If other registered students do not attend, they must drop due to the “First Day Rule.” If you are present, you will have a greater likelihood of taking that spot.

• What textbooks will I need?

The Anteater Guide to Writing and Rhetoric (4th edition) is required in all Composition Courses (WR 39A, B, C, and WR 37). The Bedford Researcher is optional for WR 39C. Any other supplemental texts will be specific to your instructor and course and can be found through the UCI Coursebooks website.

• How do I create a Canvas account?

1. Go to
2. Create an account if you do not have one.
3. Login
4. From the first login page, look to the bottom right-hand corner and click on “Start a New Course”
5. Name your course. You may keep it private but make it publicly visible if you like. Note the disclaimer that making it public will not reveal student data.
6. Click on Create Course
7. Begin adding content. From the window at the bottom of the screen you can click the “Import Content” option to integrate material from a pre-existing course if you have “teacher” status in that course.

• How do I Petition a lower division writing course if I've taken a similar writing course at another college?

If you have taken an English composition writing course at a college outside of California and wish to petition a lower division writing course at UCI, you will need to fill out the petition by clicking here:

LDW Petition Form

Note: If the form does not open, save it to your desktop (by right-clicking) and open it from there.

Once you have completed filling out the petition, attach all of the supporting documents listed in the instructions section at the top of the petition. Submit the completed packet to the Composition office at 420 HIB between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Your petition will be reviewed by a Composition course director. We will contact you via email within about 1-2 weeks with the decision. A copy of the decision will also be sent to your counseling office.

If you took the writing course at a California community college, you do not need to fill out a petition but please consult with a counselor in the school of your major for assistance in determining if the class you took is transferable.