Editing Instruction and Resources
Essays on Craft
- Against Technique
- Joan Didion: Only Disconnect
- The 5 Rs of Creative Nonfiction
- The Disciplined Writing Life
- The Power of Brevity
- The Sound on the Page: An Interview with Ben Yagoda
- Thirty Tools for Writers
- L.A. Observed: Los Angeles Media, News and Sense of Place
- Witness L.A. - Street news, views, and stories of justice and injustice, edited by Celeste Fremon.
- Writer L - The Narrative Writer's Listserv
National Internship Programs
- The Atlantic Online--Career and Internship Opportunities - The Atlantic Media Fellowship Program.
National Internship Programs--Summer
- Dow Jones News Fund, Inc. - The fund provides opportunities for students to intern at several major newspapers across the country.
Newspapers and Reviews
- Essays on Craft
- Nieman Storyboard - A selection of narrative nonfiction from the Nieman Foundation for Narrative Journalism.
- Notable Narratives
- Why's This So Good? - Writers on what makes particular stories great.
On Literary Journalism
- Breaking into Creative Nonfiction, Part 1: The Basics
- Breaking into Creative Nonfiction, Part 2: Getting that First Acceptan
- Poynter Institute - Home Page
- Storytelling on a Deadline
- The Paradoxes of Writing
- The Web and Future of Writing
- Thirty Tools for Writers
- Tools of the Trade: The Question
- Writer's Props
- Writers at Work: The Process Approach to Newswriting
- Writing Narrative Journalism: Ride the River, Scan the Banks
- Harper's Magazine
- Kiosk: A Magazine of Literary Journalism - The latest publication from the UC Irvine Literary Journalism program, featuring true stories of of the extraordinary and the everyday.
- The Atlantic Monthly (The Atlantic Online)
- The New York Times Magazine
- The New Yorker
Publishing and Research Opportunities
- UCI's Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program - UROP publishes a journal of student writing and research and hosts an annual symposium. Funds are also available for individual student research projects, both during the academic year and the summer.
- Vice-Versa: Creative Works and Comments - Recently reimagined, Vice-Versa journal is now a biannual online creative works journal that houses the expected genres (fiction, poetry, visual art, interviews, nonfiction, and reviews!) along with multimedia work (videos, e-literature, and moving poetry). Based in the University of Hawai‘i, we are committed to publishing voices from Hawai‘i and the Pacific alongside work from all over the world.
- American Press Institute: The Journalist's Toolbox
- Investigative Reporters and Editors: The Missouri School of Journalism
- Power Reporting: Resources for Journalists
- Asian American Journalists Association--Los Angeles - Contact: Connie Ho, AAJA-Los Angeles, email@example.com
Scholarships of $2500 each offered several times per year for full-time college students in Southern California.
- Society of Professional Journalists LA -
- The Norman Mailer Writing Awards -
- The Ruth Ashton Taylor Scholarship Award -