Each year, this one-quarter Graduate Student Research (GSR) Assistantship is awarded by competition to a Critical Theory Emphasis student from a Humanities Ph.D. program at UCI. An announcement of the competition and application requirements is typically made each Winter quarter. The position is a 50% GSR Step VI position for a total of 220 hours, along with in-state tuition and fees for one quarter.
The GSR in Critical Theory will be responsible for overseeing the organization of the Undergraduate Critical Theory Conference, helping with logistics and preparation for the annual Wellek Library Lectures, and otherwise aiding the Director of UCI Critical Theory.
- Graduate students in the School of Humanities who have applied to the Critical Theory Emphasis
- Current enrollment or completion of the Critical Theory Workshop (HUMAN 260 ABC)
- Completion of two sections of HUMAN 270 by the time of the call for applications
- A statement (no more than two pages) describing how critical theory is related to their specific focus in graduate studies.
- A writing sample related to critical theory (maximum 25 pages, double spaced).
- A letter of evaluation from the chair of the applicant’s qualifying exam committee, dissertation director, or other graduate advisor.
An evaluation and selection is made by the CTE Advisory Committee.