The Department is strongly committed to providing financial support to both incoming and continuing graduate students in the form of fellowships and graduate teaching assistantships. In recent years, the Department has been successful in admitting first year students on full or partial fellowships, and/or teaching assistantships. A number of generous fellowships, combined with multiple-year teaching assistant packages, are available to first year students. These fellowships cover in-state fees and in many cases non-resident tuition, and health insurance.
- The Murray Krieger Fellowship in Literary Theory is intended for an outstanding entering graduate student who is pursuing the Ph.D. in English or Comparative Literature and who demonstrates a primary interest in theory as theory relates to literary texts.
- The Graduate First Year Fellowship is awarded annually to an outstanding first-year student.
- The UCI Chancellor's Fellowships is a campus-wide award. Recipients are in the top 5% of admitted applicants.
- The Humanities Pre-Doctoral Fellowship is a two-year fellowship, providing support for the first year in addition to a three-quarter dissertation fellowship after a student has passed the qualifying examinations and is officially ABD.
- The Regents' Fellowships are awarded to outstanding first-year students.
- A campus-wide competitive award, the Eugene Cota-Robles Fellowship provides support for two years of enrollment in the program.
- The campus-wide Graduate Opportunity Fellowship is designed to foster graduate study by facilitating the academic career development of students who have experienced educational disadvantage in their prior schooling.
In addition to fellowships provided by UCI, a number of first-year students have entered the program with fellowships, including the Mellon, Javits, Pew and others from outside sources. The University provides generous support for advanced students through various fellowships and research grants, including the Regents’ Dissertation Fellowship, the Strauss Fellowship, the Humanities Alumni Fund Dissertation Fellowship, and Summer Dissertation Fellowships. Recent dissertation students have received Fulbright, Newcomb, and other fellowships.
The Department endeavors to provide teaching assistantship support for up to fifteen quarters. In 2013-2014 teaching assistants will earn $5,885 per quarter ($17,655 for the full year) for one course per quarter. In addition to the stipend, teaching assistants receive payment of partial in-state fees and health insurance. The campus-wide limit for such teaching awards is four years (twelve quarters) prior to the Ph.D. Qualifying Examination. Support after the examination is available. Annual renewal of an appointment is contingent upon satisfactory teaching performance, a good academic record, and funding. The faculty considers teaching experience to be an essential part of the graduate student's education toward the advanced degree.
Graduate Student Housing
UCI guarantees an offer of on-campus housing to every newly-admitted, full-time Ph.D. and MFA student. Ph.D. students will be guaranteed housing for a term of one year less than normative time to degree for the program. More information can be found here. For general information about graduate student housing, including application information, photos, floorplans, and a guide to off-campus housing, please click here.