What is Academic Advising?
Benefits of Academic Advising
- Get assistance in selecting courses to meet your career goals
- Learn about various majors and minors
- Get assistance in goal setting and exploration
- Make sure you are on track to graduate
- Receive help with developing strategies to improve academic performance
- Get questions answered about policies and procedures
- Obtain referrals and advice about campus resources
How Often to See an Academic Counselor
- You should see an academic counselor when you have a question about your academic goals and choices at UCI. There may be times when you are feeling confused or overwhelmed or generally unclear about what you are supposed to be doing. We are happy to help!
What to Do When You Meet with an Academic Counselor
Preparing for an appointment:
- Bring a list of questions or concerns
- Notify us at least 24 hours in advance if you cannot attend a scheduled appointment—we want to be able to help as many students as possible.
- Be ON TIME!
During the appointment:
- Share your goals and educational priorities
- Provide your advisor with accurate information about your interests and abilities
- Ask questions if you don't understand something or need clarification
After the appointment:
- Follow up on recommendations
- Organize and retain all records and documents
Sample Questions to Ask an Academic Counselor
- Can you help me plan possible majors or minors that will complement my interests?
- Where do I stand in meeting my degree requirements?
- What do you think about this tentative course schedule?
- Can you help me decide how many units I should take?
- Can you direct me to resources and opportunities that can fit with my long-term goals?