Click on a category to display the links:
» Foreign Language Computing
- Accent Codes for Mac - This page list codes for accented letters and other characters. The list is organized by type.
- Gate2Home List of Virtual Keyboards - Copy and paste text from any language into your text editor.
- Windows-International Keyboard Codes - This page list codes for accented letters and other characters. The list is organized by type.
» Language Departments
- Department of East Asian Studies - Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
- Humanities Language Learning Program - Hebrew, Vietnamese, Arabic, and Persian
- UCI Academic English/ESL -
- UCI Department of European Languages and Studies - Links to the Departments of French, German, Italian, and Russian
- UCI Department of Spanish & Portuguese
- UCI International Programs-English Language Programs - English language courses through the Divison of Contiuing Education at UC Irvine (formerly UCI Extension)
» Language-Specific Organizations
- American Association of Teachers of Arabic - American Association of Teachers of Arabic (AATA) aims to facilitate communication and cooperation between teachers of Arabic and to promote study, criticism, research and instruction in the field of Arabic language pedagogy, Arabic linguistics and Arabic literature.
- American Association of Teachers of French - The American Association of Teachers of French (AATF) was founded in 1927 and is the largest national association of French teachers in the world with nearly 10,000 members.
- American Association of Teachers of German - With over 4,000 members, the American Association of Teachers of German is for teachers of German at all levels of instruction and all those interested in the teaching of German. Founded in 1926, AATG believes that bringing the language, literature, and cultures of the German speaking world to all Americans is a vital humanistic endeavor, which serves an essential national interest.
- American Association of Teachers of Italian - The American Association of Teachers of Italian is a professional organization of scholars worldwide who contribute to the multi-disciplinary field of Italian Studies through teaching, research, and service.
- American Association of Teachers of Japanese - The American Association of Teachers of Japanese (AATJ) is an international, non-profit, non-political organization of teachers, scholars, and students of Japanese language, literature, and linguistics, which works to promote study of the Japanese language at all levels of instruction in the field and to broaden and deepen knowledge and appreciation of Japan and its culture.
- American Association of Teachers of Korean - The American Association of Teachers of Korean was founded in 1994 for all levels of teachers of the Korean language, culture, and literature in the United States of America.
- American Association of Teachers of Persian - The American Association of Teachers of Persian is a non-profit, professional organization whose objective shall be to advance and improve the study and teaching of the Persian language and culture; to promote research in the field of Persian language, linguistics, and literature; to further the common interests of teachers in the field; and to facilitate communication and professional cooperation among its members.
- American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages - The American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages exists to advance the study and promote the teaching of Slavic and East European languages, literatures, and cultures on all educational levels.
- American Council of Teachers of Russian - The American Council of Teachers of Russian (ACTR) was founded in 1974 as an association of language and area professionals involved with Russian language, literature and linguistics. Membership is open to all persons with an interest in the study and teaching of the Russian language.
- The American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese - The American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese promotes the study and teaching of the Spanish and Portuguese languages and their corresponding Hispanic, Luso-Brazilian, and other related literatures and cultures at all levels of education.
- The American Classical League - The American Classical League was founded in 1919 for the purpose of fostering the study of classical languages in the United States and Canada. Membership is open to any person who is committed to the preservation and advancement of our classical inheritance from Greece and Rome.
- The Chinese Language Teachers Association - The Chinese Language Teachers Association, USA, Inc. (CLTA) is a professional organization devoted exclusively to the study of Chinese language, culture and pedagogy.
» National Foreign Language Organizations
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages - The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) is dedicated to the improvement and expansion of the teaching and learning of all languages at all levels of instruction. ACTFL is an individual membership organization of more than 12,500 language educators and administrators from elementary through graduate education, as well as government and industry.
- Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium - CALICO, the Computer-Assisted Language Instruction Consortium is an international organization dedicated to research and development in the use of computer technology in language learning: computer-assisted language learning (CALL).
- International Association for Language Learning Technology - Established in 1965, IALLT is a professional organization whose members provide leadership in the development, integration, evaluation and management of instructional technology for the teaching and learning of language, literature and culture. Its strong sense of community promotes the sharing of expertise in a variety of educational contexts.
- National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages - NCOLCTL's mission is to increase the number of Americans who choose to learn one or more of the less commonly taught languages (LCTLs) as a means of enhancing cross-cultural communication among citizens of the United States. NCOLCTL is the national voice for organizations and individuals who represent the teaching of these less commonly taught languages at both the collegiate and precollegiate level.
- TESOL - TESOL is an international association of professionals advancing the quality of English language teaching through professional development, research, standards, and advocacy.
» Regional Foreign Language Organizations
- MLA Regional-Pacific Ancient and MLA - PAMLA is dedicated to the advancement and diffusion of knowledge of ancient and modern languages and literatures. Anyone interested in language and literary studies may become a member.
- The Southwest Conference on Language Teaching - The Southwest Conference on Language Teaching is a regional foreign language teachers' organization that hosts an annual conference in partnership with state foreign language teacher associations. The participating states in SWCOLT are Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah.
» Resources for Instructors
- Authentic Spanish Language and Pedagogy blog - Videos with speakers from a wide variety of countries
- Bibliothèque Virtuelle des Manuscrits Médiévaux - La Bibliothèque virtuelle des manuscrits médiévaux (BVMM), est élaborée par l’Institut de recherche et d’histoire des textes (IRHT-CNRS). Elle permet de consulter la reproduction d’une large sélection de manuscrits, du Moyen Âge jusqu’au début de la Renaissance, conservés dans des fonds patrimoniaux dispersés sur tout le territoire français, hormis ceux de la Bibliothèque nationale de France.
- Deutsche Welle - German news and podcasts
- Digital Dialects - Interactive games for learning dozens of languages.
- Japanese language links - Japanese language links and resources for all levels of learners from Gettysburg
- Lyrics Gaps - Fill in gaps in song lyrics. Many languages represented.
- Lyrics Training - Learn English and other languages through music and the lyrics of your favorite songs.
- Map Crunch - This site takes you to randomly-selected Google Street View images around the
world. You can specify the country you want to see, then keep bringing up new
places to explore. Great for descriptive vocabulary lessons with a cultural
- Online Newspaper Directory for the World - Thousands of Newspapers Listed by Country & Region
- UCI Center for Engaged Instruction - CEI’s mission is to improve the quality of teaching and learning through pedagogical development for faculty, lecturers, postdoctoral fellows, and teaching assistants, to promote the use of innovative teaching techniques, including the use of instructional technology, and to foster campuswide conversation about enhancing student learning through innovative teaching.
- World Newspapers Online - Searchable map of newspapers from around the world in all different languages
» Resources for UCI Students
- English Conversation Program (ECP) - ECP provides international students the opportunity to practice and improve their conversational English with the help of English speaking facilitators. Participants learn about different cultural perspectives, intercultural communication skills, and recognize the value of our diverse campus community. Students are paired in one-on-one conversations and pariticipate in group activities.
- English Development Workshop Series - The English Development Workshops assist international students with strengthing their skills in academic writing, reading and vocabulary development, pronunciation, conversation, and grammar in the English language.
- Information for Prospective UCI Students- English Language Proficiency - Applicants whose native language is not English, and whose high school or college/university education was in a country where the language of instruction was not English, must provide evidence of English proficiency to be successful in university studies at UCI. Read more here about what is required by the Office of Admissions & Relations wtih Schools.
- International Center Helping Hands - IC Helping Hands brings international and domestic students together to develop friendships and teamwork skills, while strengthening and supporting our greater community through service-learning projects. Students will volunteer, in the Orange County community, at various sites including beach cleanups, food drives, homeless shelters, and many more.
- International Coffee Hour - International Coffee Hour is an opportunity for international and domestic students to engage in conversations, create friendships, share their culture, and to connect with the UCI community in a casual and comfortable environment.
- UCI Academic Testing Center - Information regarding language placement testing at UCI.
- UCI Campus Writing Coordinator - The CWC conducts workshops, invites speakers, collects and distributes resources on writing in the disciplines and writing courses at UCI, and conducts writing program assessment and research.
- UCI Graduate Division - The UCI Graduate Division provides leadership on all graduate education matters, working with scholars from all over the world to engage in study, teaching, and research in the pursuit of a master's or Ph.D. degree or of postdoctoral training.
- UCI International Center - The International Center advances and facilitates international engagement at UCI to enhance the academic and personal experience of the international community.
- UCI Study Abroad Center - The Center assists students in participating in programs abroad that offer unique academic opportunities, international learning and personal development while making progress toward their UCI degree.
» State Foreign Language Organizations
- CATESOL - CATESOL represents teachers of English language learners throughout California and Nevada, promoting excellence in education and providing high-quality professional development.
» UCI Student Clubs and Organizations
- Organization for Language Exchange - Organization for Language Exchange is a club that allows students who are taking a foreign language or exchange students from another country to come and practice communicating in the language that they are interested in.
- Persian Language and Culture Club - Persian Language and Culture Club at the University of California, Irvine aims to unify the Iranian student population on campus in pursuit of a deeper understanding of the Iranian identity, language, history, culture, and all that it encompasses.
- UCI English Majors' Association - The purpose of this organization is to create a space for English Department majors and minors to connect and collaborate with their peers and professors in a non-classroom setting and to foster a love of literature for all members of the UCI community.