Research Associates

Under the Humanities Research Associates Program (HRAP), the School of Humanities is able to appoint recent Ph.D. graduates Research Associate WOS (without salary) position. During this one year appointment, alumni are able to maintain their affiliation with the university in order to continue their research and other related projects.

Interested applicants will need to submit the following materials to the Office of Graduate Study after consultation with the department/program manager:

  1. Proposal of Research Plans (1-2 pages)
  2. Letter of Support from Faculty Mentor
  3. Curriculum Vitae
  4. AP-9
  5. AP-21
    To access the file, save directly to your system and open from your system. Web version does not display the form.
  6. Any additional hiring forms determined as necessary by the department/program manager
Please note that all forms must have original signatures in blue or black ink. Stamps and electronic signatures will not be accepted. 

• Are international students eligible to apply?

International students under the Optional Practical Traning (OPT) program are eligible to apply. As OPT is administered by the International Center and requires approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), be sure to begin that application process at least four months prior to graduation. For further information, visit the OPT webpage.

• Am I required to be physically on campus during my appointment?

No. The Research Associate position does not have a residency clause attached.

• Can I hold another appointment on campus or another UC (ie lecturer) while a Research Associate?

As another campus or UC appointment allows you access to resources (ie library access), like the HRAP program, and is more relevant to your professional development, your Research Associate position will need to be terminated. In the event you receive an alternative appointment, please notify the Office of Graduate Study immediately after your notification.

• Am I eligible to renew my appointment?

The Research Associate position can be renewed for a second, and final year. Appointees must contact the Office of Graduate Study no later than one month prior to their original appointment end date (ex: notify OGS no later than June 1 for an end date of June 30). To formally apply for renewal, a research summary and an email notification of support from the faculty mentor must be submitted to OGS. The research summary should detail work done througout the course of the first year of appointment and the intention of continued research with a second year of appointment.

• Who should I contact if I have more questions?

Please feel free to contact Arielle Hinojosa-Garcia.