* Send as an attachment to email@example.com
* The manuscript should be no longer than 25 pages, letter sized paper, double spaced.
* Essays are accepted in both English, Spanish and Portuguese.
* Each essay sould include a bibliography or works cited at the end.
* In the body of the text and footnotes, do not cite the everything about the essay or book. Instead refer in parenthesis the minimum from the works cited: generally: author, an abbreviated titleeviado and page number.
* Footnotes (not endnotes).
* Books and dramatic works: italics
* Essays, book chapters: "quotation marks"
* Quote punctuation:
* Commas and periods inside the quotation marks
* In the text and in quotation marks, if no longer than 4 lines.
* In a separate paragraph, with 2 [indents], same font, if longer than 4 lines. The reference in parenthesis, immediately after the quote, with the page number.
* A minimum, in length and in quantity.
* Attempt to not quote in the footnotes and keep them shorter than 4 lines.
* All authors of essays must sign a contract with GESTOS establishing that the essay has not been published nor is it being considered for another journal.
* The copies for publication must be returned 2-3 days after having been received.
1) Although it is not always easy to distinguish between the two, GESTOS prefers to establish two types of reviews: informative and critical. The are generally distinguished by intention and length.
Length: Minimum: 3 pages. Maximum: 5 pagess. Letter sized, double spaced.
a) Describe the content of the book.
b) Analyze the content
c) Critically evaluate its contribution the the subject, especially from the point of view of works on theatre and the importance or newness that it contributes to the specific area.
Informative reviews :
Length: one to one and a half pages, double spaced, letter sized.
a) Let people know about the appearance of the book
b) Brief reference to the subject and content
c) Brief reference to its possible significance with respect to a bibliography on the subject.
2) Title the review with the bibliography, including number of pages in book.
Example: Catherine M. Boyle. Chilean Theater, 1973-1985. Marginality, Power, Selfhood. London: Farleigh Dickinson University Press, 1992. 226 pp.
3) The name of the author of the review at the end. Indicate the istitution to which he/she is associated. Flush right
In this section, we include works or documents that, in some way contribute to the history of theatre, especially in terms of "práctica escénica," as in interviews, documents about authors, people of theatre (actors/actresses/directors), presentations, festivals, conferences.
In general terms, we prefer the length to me no more than 15 pages, double spaced, letter sized.
GESTOS, generally, does not maintain correspondance with respect to plays that are received but have not been asked for.