Please join me for the UCI Libraries Zinefest!
Department: Gender and Sexuality StudiesDate and Time: October 26, 2016 | 12:00 PM-4:00 PM
Event Location: Lower Gateway Plaza (Langson library)
Please join me for the UCI Libraries Zinefest! This is the second annual festival and this year it has expanded collaborations with the Cross Cultural Center, LGBT Resource Center, Long Beach Public Library, and OC Zinefest. And two of my classes - 120B Image Problems and 157B Queer Lives & Knowledges - are working on zine projects for their final.
I’ll be giving a brief keynote along with other zinemakers and librarians.
"There is no room for shame in the revolution!": 'zines, public intimacies, and DIY survival” - Dr. Scheper
And they are still accepting applications for tabling at the zine fair!
UCI Libraries Zinefest! Join us on Wednesday, October 26, during the heart of Open Access Week. All activities will be held outside of Langson Library in Lower Gateway Plaza (historically, a free speech zone) and the OC&SEAA Center (historically, a coffee shop) from 12pm to 4pm.
Zinefest will be fueled by DIY zine workshops to create handmade zines. Join us and create a zine on any topic – on campus or worldwide – in a creative, free, handmade, distributable format. You will also have the option to donate your zines to the University Archives, which would preserve and provide access to the community. In the Libraries, we will use this as an opportunity to collect and document the diversity in UC Irvine student and campus life in 2016.
Zinefest will be busy day full of activities:
· Create: DIY Zine workshops. Students and community members are invited to express their thoughts, ideas, and opinions using scrapbooking materials that we provide. Periodic demonstrations will be provided by zinester duo, ZebraPizza. Formats to support larger community zines will be available as well.
· Share: Zine Fair. Local Zinesters from the community are welcome to share, trade, and distribute zines. Students can also distribute the zines they created at this workshop.
· Inspire: Zines in the Libraries. An exhibit of zines curated from the UC Irvine Libraries collection.
· Educate: Through featured speakers, handouts, displays, and conversations, join us to learn more about the history of zines to empower voices and how library resources enhance the visibility and accessibility of research and creative products.
Featured speakers include:
· Jeanne Scheper. Associate Professor of Gender & Sexuality Studies, School of Humanities.
· Alison Regan. Assistant University Librarian, UCI Libraries.
· Tamara Austin. Director of Women & Gender Education Initiatives, Cross Cultural Center.
· Ziba Perez Zehdar & Jon-O Gazdecki. ZebraPizza, Long Beach Public Library.
· Laura Uglean Jackson. Assistant University Archivist, UCI Libraries.
This event is made possible through the support of partnerships, including: UCI Illuminations, UCI School of Humanities, Cross Cultural Center, LGBT Resource Center, Long Beach Public Library, and OC Zinefest.