Welcome to the Program in Academic English website page for community college instructors. Together with community college instructors and administrators, the faculty of the Program of Academic English is working to build smooth transitions between community colleges and the University of California. Our shared goal is to improve our students’ English proficiency, helping them achieve success.
Upper-Division Writing Expectations
- Upper-division writing course expectations (.pdf document).
- UCI Writing Coordinator - UCI Campus Writing Coordinator’s website contains sample writing syllabi, assessment information and writing research. Community college instructors might find links pertaining to lower- and upper-division writing particularly useful.
Community College Resources
- ESL Transfer Report - This .pdf file contains a UC report on ESL transfer students.
- The Proposal - This .pdf document contains a preliminary proposal written by Santa Monica Community College and UC faculty that outlines the development of curricular materials designed for use in ESL and composition courses.
- WAC Clearinghouse Links - The links at this website contain online resources for designing, developing, and maintaining writing initiatives.