Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, University of California, Irvine
General Overview of the
UCI | EALL | Chinese | Overview | Courses | Class Websites | Placement | Instructors | Events
The following four are the principles of our
lower-division Chinese language classes:
(1) Innovative approach with emphasis on the four fundamental skills of
listening, speaking, reading and writing.
(2) Taught in Mandarin Chinese whenever possible, using the Pinyin system of Romanization and full form characters.
(3) Weekly quizzes, weekly homeworks, essays, midterm, oral interview, skit, group activities and final exam.
(4) Classroom activities include open discussions, debates, presentations, skits, game playing, movie watching, and field trips.
1. 1st Year: 350 to 400 students per year
2. 2nd Year: 250 to 250 students per year
3. 3rd Year: 50 to 100 students per year
Contact Us last updated on 2/1/2006