Deadline January 2nd
All students seeking admission into the Spanish and Portuguese Graduate Program (M.A., Ph.D.) required to take the GRE.
Requests for application materials can be emailed to Evelyn Flores, Graduate Coordinator. The Graduate Program Director for the Graduate Program is Professor Viviane Mahieux.
If you would like to apply to our Graduate Ph.D. Program the On-Line Application, Parts A-D is available at the following website: http://www.grad.uci.edu/admissions
You will be required to pay the application fee of $105 for U.S. Citizens and lawful U.S. Permanent Residents, or $125.00 for International Students.
The following items are also required:
- Application Fee of $105.00 for U.S. Citizens and lawful U.S. Permanent Residents, and $125.00 for International Students
- Statement of Purpose can be included with application or sent separately
- Two official copies of Academic Records (undergraduate and graduate)
If your transcripts are in an language other than English, a official translated copy must be submitted.
- 3 letters of Recommendation in English including waiver and recommendation forms available at following website: http://www.grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/letters-recommendation.html
- Official GRE (Graduate Record Examination) Scores:
- Information on the GRE may be obtained from most colleges and universities, including UCI, or from:
The Graduate Record Examination, Educational Testing Service (ETS),
P.O. Box 6000,
Princeton, NJ 08541-6000;
Telephone: (609) 771-7670
Select Institution Code#R4859 for UCI.
- All applicants whose primary language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English for admission consideration. However, this requirement will be waived automatically for applicants who have received an advanced degree from an accredited U.S. college or university. Proficiency in English may be demonstrated by passing one of two standardized, internationally administered tests: TOEFL (the Test of English as a Foreign Language); or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The applicant should take one of these tests at the earliest available date to ensure that the scores are reported in time to meet application deadlines.
- A minimum seven (7) page sample of work written in Spanish that a) demonstrates original critical prospective, b) develop coherent line of argument, c) demonstrate the ability to organize paper properly, and d) possess appropriate research skill for primary and secondary sources.
- Demonstration of English Language Proficiency for Teaching Assistant/Associate Employment (not required for admission): International and U.S. Permanent Resident graduate students who are not citizens of countries where English is either the primary or dominant language as approved by the UCI Graduate Council, who wish to be considered for appointment as a Teaching Assistant or Teaching Associate, must pass an approved oral English proficiency examination. There is no exception to this requirement. Oral English proficiency may be demonstrated by achieving a score of at least: 26 on the Speaking component of the TOEFL iBT; 8 on the Speaking component of the Academic Modules of the IELTS.
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Graduate Program Coordinator
322 Humanities Hall
Irvine, CA 92697-5275