About the Department
The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Irvine provides students with a strong liberal arts background by combining theory and practice, giving our majors the tools necessary to navigate the complex film, broadcast, and digital media landscape. As professionals and scholars, Film and Media Studies majors acquire skills in theoretical, visual, historical, and cultural analysis and broad knowledge of the history of moving image studies, broadcast policy, popular culture, and social media. Students are trained to actively read and explore audio-visual media through both theoretical and practical approaches. They strengthen their writing through active engagement with all aspects of cinematic, broadcast, and digital culture. We also teach courses in screenwriting and production with the goal of both deepening the understanding . . .
News and Events
- FMS trip to Palm Springs International Film Festival
- Prof. Johnson discusses how television shapes our perspectives on AirTalk
- Prof. Catherine Liu presented several talks at IACS-UST
- Prof. Allison Perlman discusses her new book in New Books Network podcast
- Welcome to UCI, Prof. Bambi Haggins!
- November 20, 2017
Film screening: REDES
Department of Film & Media Studies
University of California, Irvine
2000 Humanities Gateway
Irvine, California 92697-2435
Map to the UCI Film and Media Studies Department