For Faculty members who wish to assist their students with English
If you find that your students are having difficulty doing well in your course because of English language difficulties, please encourage them to improve their knowledge of academic English. You can refer your students to the Program in Academic English for assessment and recommendations.
- Tips for Helping International Students
- Center for Engaged Instruction: You can also contact De Gallow in the Center for Engaged Instruction, for information concerning effective teaching practices.
If you are interested in exploring literature related to teaching academic English, please refer to the websites below:
Links to sites on teaching English Composition and ESL:
- The Internet TESL Journal (articles, research papers, lessons plans, classroom handouts, teaching ideas & links. This is a monthly web journal.)
- Links from the Internet TESL Journal to books, articles, conferences, associations, computer-assisted language activities
- TESL-EJ - an electronic journal on Teaching English as a Second Language
- The NCTE website for college composition
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- The California TESOL organization
- A handout on providing language feedback in the Writing 39 classes at UC Irvine
- Transfer Student Services - Transfer Student Services helps transfer students quickly locate appropriate services relevant to their educational and student life needs and is located in Student Services II, 2200.
- The Campus Writing Coordinator - This site contains a wealth of faculty resources pertaining, e.g., to writing awards, writing courses, plagiarism, peer tutoring, and UCI libraries.
- Peer Tutors in Writing and Library - This site explains how students of any level can bring writing-in-progress to a peer tutor for consultation at various locations free of charge.
- The International Center - UCI’s International Center provides a variety of support services and resources for international students, including a conversational program called the English Corner and Start to Finish.
- Graduate Resource Center - Graduate students who want to improve their writing should contact the Graduate Resource Center. This center offers writing workshops and tutorials.