Graduate Student Information
Welcome to the Program in Academic English!
Our program offers a number of courses and services that are designed to help graduate students succeed at UCI.
Program in Academic English/ESL - courses for graduate students
- Academic English 23A - Pronunciation
- Academic English 23B- Conversation
- Academic English 23C - Advanced Communication & Presentations (prerequisite, Academic English 23A and B or interview with professor)
- Academic English 24 - ESL International TA Workshop
- Academic English 28 - Grammar for Writing (review of common ESL writing errors; extensive practice with short writing)
- The UCI Test of Oral English Proficiency (TOEP) - The TOEP is offered at UCI 3 times a year - in September, December, and June.
- SPEAK@UCI - SPEAK is offered before fall quarter and also during fall, winter, and spring quarters in week 4; check the website link for updates. Here is a link for a sample TSE test which is the same format as the SPEAK test:
- ETS - The Test of Spoken English (TSE) and TOEFL iBT - The TSE is no longer offered in the U.S. and is being phased out around the world. It is being replaced by the TOEFL iBT which includes a speaking section. UCI is a test center for the TOEFL iBT; go to the Humanities Studio and click on TOEFL information.