Graduate Student Information
Welcome to the Program in Academic English!
Our program offers a number of courses and services that are designed to help international graduate students succeed at UCI.
Program in Academic English/ESL - courses for graduate students
- Academic English 23A - Pronunciation
- Academic English 23B - Conversation
- Academic English 23C - Advanced Communication & Presentations (23A or B or interview with professor recommended)
- Academic English 24 - ESL International TA Workshop (Ac Eng 23B or 23C or interview with professor recommended)
- Academic English 28 - Grammar for Writing (review of common ESL writing errors; extensive practice with short writing; spaces may be limited)
- Academic English 139W - Advanced Expository Writing (focus on developing academic reading and writing skills including essay content, organization, vocabulary, and grammar; heavy work load; upper-division undergraduate students have priority in obtaining a seat in the course)
- The UCI Test of Oral English Proficiency (TOEP) is offered at UCI 3 times a year - in September, December, and June.
- SPEAK@UCI is offered before fall quarter and also during fall, winter, and spring quarters in week 4; check the website link for updates and a sample SPEAK test.
- TOEFL iBT and IELTS are given in Orange County. Check the websites for dates and times.