Country's first 4 + 1 B.A./M.A. Program in Asian American Studies
We are pleased to announce the application process for the UCI AAS 4+1! Ours is the first in the country to offer undergraduate students the opportunity to earn a MA in Asian American Studies after an additional year of study. This message provides the following information:
• Admissions requirements
• Application process and materials
• Important Dates
• Course work for spring 2017
All students wishing to apply for the 4+1 should first meet with Professor Balance, the Director of Graduate Studies for AAS (email@example.com). Students must meet the following criteria:
• Current UCI undergraduate student status
• Cumulative 3.0 G.P.A.
• Cumulative 3.3 G.P.A. in all Asian American Studies coursework.
• Two Asian American Studies courses: one in ASIANAM 50, 51, 52, 53, or 54, and one other course in Asian American Studies (lower or upper division).
Application Process and Materials:
1. Set up application advising appointment with the Humanities Graduate Counselor, Arielle Hinojosa-Garcia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Complete online graduate application through UCI Graduate Division.
3. Submit the following supplemental application materials:
• official transcript of all post-secondary work
• one letter of recommendation from an Asian American Studies core or affiliate faculty member
• a writing sample (ten pages in length. It could be one paper that is 10 pages in length or two papers that total 10 pages.)
1. Monday, April 10, 5-6:30: pizza party and info night in HG 3341. RSVPs due to Jasmine Robledo (email@example.com) by Thursday, April 6. Please do not wait until April 10 to make appointments with Prof. Balance and Ms. Arielle Hinojosa. We recommend that you start the application process early and to approach your faculty mentor(s) for a letter of recommendation and advice about your writing sample and statement of purpose. We will discuss these topics at our info night as well.
2. Sunday, April 30: Spring deadline for AAS 4+1 applications.
Spring 2017 Course Work:
Interested students, especially seniors, are strongly encouraged to enroll in 200C: Community Leadership and Change during spring 2017. Undergrads can take this class, and it will count towards 4+1 requirements upon admission into the program.
Good luck with the end of winter quarter and have a wonderful spring break! Please feel free to contact myself, Prof. Balance or Arielle Hinojosa with questions.
Judy Tzu-Chun Wu
Professor and Chair of Asian American Studies
University of California, Irvine